12.12.2010

Christmas Cookies - Day 7 of 12 Days of Christmas

Ok...today isn't going to be very impressive, but it might be inspiring! LOL. I've been wanting to try this for a while, and haven't even gotten close to doing any good with it. The plan was to make sugar cookies with my stamped images on top for decoration. Have any of you try this before? Did you have any success? If so, can you give me some pointers?

First attempt:
I put pieces of paper towels in a shallow dish and soaked in food coloring. I made my cookie dough, flattened it by dipping the bottom of a glass in sugar and pressing it...then I took my stamps (from Smeared Ink's Skelly Christmas Set), dipped them in my homemade food coloring ink pads, and stamped them into the dough. Then I baked them. This method wasn't successful. There was either too much ink or not enough. It ended up being just big blobs of color.




Second attempt:
I used the same steps to flatten my dough. For the images this time, I stamped into the dough without the coloring. Then I took a paint brush and painted the food coloring into the indentions left by the stamps. This method looks better, but still not successful.







Like I said, if anyone has any ideas to make this work, I'm all ears! Sorry for not having something more awesome for you today, but I tried!!

Please don't forget about the other wonderfully inspiring and creative Jolly Bloggers.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

12 comments:

  1. Great idea and awesome try! I would never hav even thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea! Too bad it didn't work out the first time...but art is all about trial and error! I think they'll be delish no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it, but would suggest following the steps in your second trial, but bake the cookies and decorate with icing rather than attempting to decorate with food coloring. I think the food coloring may be too watery for this application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea! Not much for decorating like this so I have no ideas to offer but I will be watching the comments. Maybe the gel food colorings? TFS, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tori- first- I am impressed you made your own stamp pads with food coloring, period! You rock girl and guess what, I eat cookies regardless of how they look because I LOVE COOKIES!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something I have never tried I think you did fantastic
    Luv Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look yummy! I've never tried stamping on plain cookies before. I've tried cupcakes, but we stamped on rice paper and then stuck it on the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of this! what a great idea...I was wondering if it was possible...now I must give it a try! thanks again for another great cooking idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool iea, Tori! Looks better than most of the cookies I ever make and I bet they're yummy! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  10. have you tried using the stamp after you've baked them? I think it's a fabulous idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is awesome!!!! i never would have thought of that! i agree with tmc, maybe try after baking, i still think they look badass!

    ReplyDelete